Image Map

Tuesday 10 February 2015

Rusty Finds.


Since coming back to university in January I've been collecting rusty objects for my current project. In my last project I used an old burnt out barrel my Dad found at the bottom of the garden as my main material and this has sparked a bit of an obsession with everything rust, as you will see! 


My friend Amy's parents have just moved into a new house in the countryside and in the woods at the back there was massive haul of old, rusty objects which Amy kindly managed to stuff in her car & bring back to Leicester for me! If you are interested in contemporary jewellery take a look at Amy's lovely work here.




My absolute favourite piece from this collection is this beautiful, falling apart bike, which had been there for so long it even had a tree growing through it!











As if this wasn't enough rust to be getting on with, me and fellow Design Crafter Alice (www.instagram.com/alicevictoria_textiles) took a trip to visit 'Rusty Rick' a man we found on Ebay who had a very interesting selection of rust covered items! See below for the pieces I chose.


Vintage mole traps, horse bits & pitch fork.


& this is part of the amazing horse bridle (more on this later) with the leather strap and buckle still intact.

I'll be keeping you updated on how I transform these objects so keep a look out! 

Let me know what you think about the rust, do you think its beautiful & interesting or belongs in the bin? I'd love to hear your opinions!

No comments:

Post a Comment